How to Buy the Perfect Dehumidifier
When the winter comes and the temperature outside drops dramatically, the moisture and humidity that was once inside the air in your home can drop to levels that will leave you feeling more than just a little bit uncomfortable. This moisture can be replaced using dehumidifiers that can help to relieve you of the sort of physical discomforts such as allergies, chapped skin, and illnesses such as the cold and flu that can be caused by a lack of moisture in the air.
A humidifier is a device that can be used in your home or office that will help to add humidity into the air when the weather starts to get a lot colder. These have been around for a good few years now and the technology behind them has evolved in such a manner that they are now becoming a must have item for consumers that live in ever changing climates from hot to cold.
If you are one of those that find it difficult making the transition from summer to winter and wanted to ensure that the humidity levels in your home are always comfortable, then you should definitely consider purchasing a dehumidifier. With three different types and of course many different models however, it can be overwhelming knowing which one to purchase.
Check out what you should be looking out for when purchasing a dehumidifier:
- The Two Types – Before you set on your way to purchase a dehumidifier, you should make sure that you know the difference between the two different types. The two types are cool mist and warm mist and they differ simply due to the process they use to dehumidify the air. Warm mist types literally just boil the water and then release the steam into the air. Cool mist types on the other hand use one of either three other methods such as blowing air over a wet wick, emitting water via a vibrating nebulizer, or producing mist via a rotating disk.
- Ease of Cleaning – In order to ensure that you always have a fully functioning and efficiently working humidifier there is just one thing to do: Keep it nice and clean. In order for you to do this, you will want one that makes this task as easy as possible on a daily basis. Ideally you will want to be able to easily drain, rinse, and dry off your unit each and every day without any problems. Maintenance of a humidifier is extremely important if you want to ensure that any moisture that it is emitting to the air is safe to breathe in.
- Ease of Use – Nobody wants a humidifier that looks like it requires a degree in Information Technology to work them, so ease of use is extremely important as well. You will want a unit that is not only user-friendly to control but also one that is easy to move around and clean as well. The best way to find something that ticks all the boxes that you require is to simply look around and decide which one you feel offers up the best ease if use.
- Humidistat – Some of the best humidifiers actually come with a humidistat that will automatically turn off your unit as soon as the humidity level in the room has reached a predetermined amount. You have to be careful purchasing a dehumidifier without a feature such as this as too much humidity is not good either. If you do decide to go for a model without this feature, you should definitely consider purchasing a hygrometer that will help you to monitor the humidity levels in your home. This is because over humidification can result in dust mites and potentially promote the increase of mold and bacteria in your home.
- Timer – Many models will also have a timer as one of their features. This will allow you to set the humidifier to turn on and off at the times you require. This essentially means that you could have it turned at the right time each day so that by the time you get back home from work, your home is already at the right humidity. You will have to be careful with how long you leave it on for though, as you do not want to go over the top and have too much moisture in the air as it can cause condensation on the windows.
Whilst each of the features above will benefit you in some way, you may not think that you will require them all. So just make sure that you have a good understanding about which features you actually require before going ahead with any purchase. This article should have provided you with the sort of information required that will allow you to make a much better decision when it comes to making that purchase.